Athlete and Eating Disorder
Causes of eating disorders among athletes
1) The idealization of thinness in our society: Judges rewarded thinner athletes
2) The belief that lower body fat enhances performance
3) Body Dissatisfaction: Athletes at risk for eating disorders are often those who are critical of their own athletic performance and who express these concerns by dissatisfaction with their bodies
5) Body Building
Male and female athletes: different risk factors:
Males also develop eating disorders but at a much reduced incidence (approximately 90% female; 10% male). The female athlete is subject to the constant social pressure to be thin as she is in sports milieu that may overvalue performance, low body fat, and an idealized, unrealistic body shape, size, and weight. Many sports demand low percentages of body fat. In general, men have more lean muscle tissue and less fatty tissue. Males also have higher metabolic rates than females thus women put on weight easily.
Complications of Eating Disorders in Athletes
1. Eating disorders may result in symptoms, which can lower performance.
2. Fatigue, weakness, lightheadedness, broken bones, leg cramps, and irregular heart rate are common.
3. Low thyroid hormones, poor heart and circulatory function, osteoporosis, and electrolyte imbalance can also occur.
4. Irregular menses or absence of Menses in female athlete can lead to osteoporosis and infertility problems.
1. Psychological counseling addresses the eating disordered symptoms the underlying psychological, interpersonal, and cultural factors.
2. Nutritional counseling is also necessary as athletes have special nutritional need.
3. Family therapy
4. Gynecological treatment for amenorrohoea (lack of Menses).
5. Medical treatment for hormonal and other physical problems.
Eating Disorders- Its all about Healthy Eating!
ADHD Treatment: Treating the ADHD Troubles
One of the most important and probably the most difficult diseases to treat are diseases which affect the brain. Neurological diseases can be very tricky to cure. Thus treating ADHD or Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorders can be a challenging...
Athlete and Eating Disorder
disorders continue to be on the rise among athletes, especially those involved in sports that place great emphasis on to be thin and lean. Sports such as gymnastics, figure skating, dancing and synchronized swimming have a higher percentage of...
Eating disorders in ballet dancers:
many are aware of the lengths to which these dancers go to in order to keep themselves looking that way. Eating disorders and body weight: Ballet dancers are constant weight watchers. They can get quite panicky if they put on even a bit more...
Eating Disorders in Children- A major Concern.
Eating disorders can have dire results for any individual. If a child suffers from eating disorders then it can ruin the entire life of the child. A child must follow proper eating habits and if he is found to have eating disorders then it must be...
History of Eating Disorders -
An overview of Eating Disorder - What is it? A condition involving serious problem behaviors regarding food is called an 'Eating Disorder', leading to adoption of harmful food habits. It may be of any type - under-eating, over-eating,...
Pro Eating Disorders -
What does it mean? The term stands for the concept of welcoming the very idea of suffering from an eating disorder. Of late, a trend of encouraging eating disorders among the population has started. People actually want to suffer from the...
Teen Eating Disorders:
they subject themselves to torture by overeating or by not eating at all. With the aim of losing weight at all costs, teenagers cope with eating disorders even to the extent of starving themselves to death. Teen Eating Disorders - starvation ...
Fetal Heart Monitor: Hear Your Baby's Heartbeat; know that it's safe and happy
In pregnancy both the health of the mother and the fetus is of equal importance. As for the condition of the fetus it can be detected only with the help of certain processes like scanning and fetal heart monitor which makes it possible to hear the...
Oily Skin Treatment:
becoming too irritated or too dried during treatments Benzoyl Peroxide: It is commonly used to treat oily skin and acne. It acts in following ways: 1) It kills bacteria, which are the rot cause for the development of acne. Bacteria causes, the...
Treating oily skin:
Importance of skin: The skin is the major limb of our body and up till now most of us do not do an adequate amount of to keep up our skin's health. One of the functions of our skin is to get rid of a segment of the body's waste products all the...
|© Eating-Disorders.Tdrbizl.Com 2006|